Our country is rich in history,culture and heritage and above all the amazing people of Zimbabwe.So whether its your first time or a repeat visit on either holiday,family or business, Zimbabwe Odyssey wishes you an enjoyable and safe stay wherever your journey takes you.
If you are visiting Zimbabwe and you don’t speak the local indigenous language these are a few Shona phrases that will help you to get by.
Victoria Falls one of the seven wonders of the world is a must visit if you are visiting Zimbabwe together with other highlighted places in this website.
Interesting facts about Victoria Falls
If you are among those visitors seeking facts about Victoria Falls, here are 5 most interesting things you should know about Victoria Falls that make it one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
1. Victoria Falls is the largest waterfall in the world. It is situated at the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe, viewed better from the Zimbabwean side. David Livingstone is credited for naming this wonder Victoria Falls in honor of Queen Victoria. Originally, locals called Victoria Falls Mosi-oa-tunya, which means ‘The Smoke That Thunders’.
2. Rapids from River Zambezi, which is the fourth largest river in Africa, forms the falls. Victoria Falls location, halfway from its source to the sea, seems to dissect this river. River Zambezi rain forest receive rainfall 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because of the continuous spray from Victoria Falls. Approximately 600 million cubic litre's of water hit the ground per minute. Amazing, right?
3. During sunset on a full moon, Victoria Falls forms a strange, breathtaking sight as the moonlight bounces off its spray to bring forth a moon bow; a nighttime rainbow. This wonder is one of Africa’s best kept secrets.
4. Victoria Falls naturally formed a pool called Devil’s Swimming Pool. It is located on the edge of the falls. The best time to swim at the pool is between September and December when Zambezi River’s flow is at safe levels.
5. The first European to see the falls was David Livingstone, who stood on a small outcrop named Livingstone Island to get better views. Livingstone had heard interesting tales about Vic Falls and sought to see this spectacle. Cecil John Rhodes also developed interest in the falls and birthed the idea of The Victoria Falls Bridge
Choose from selected high quality hotels,luxurious safari camps,lodges and chalets from five stars to anything in between.All options cater for different budgets without compromising on your comfort.